Table of Contents
Barley grass is the young leaf of the barley plant (Hordeum vulgare). In some cases described as “barley leaves” or “barley green,” barley grass is rich in chlorophyll and antioxidants (such as lutonarin and saponarin), and likewise consists of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), ferulic acid, vitamins, and minerals.
Barley grass is utilized as an ingredient at numerous juice bars. In addition, natural-food shops frequently offer bottled juice beverages including barley grass juice. Some stores likewise offer sets that permit you to grow your own barley grass for juicing.
In Japan, green juices made with ingredients like young barley grass juice are called “aojiru,” and are commonly taken in to improve health.2 Barley grass powder (a dehydrated form of barley grass extract), barley grass pills, and barley grass tablets are sold in numerous natural-food stores and in stores concentrating on dietary supplements.
Barley Grass Nutrition Information
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) provide 20 calories, 2g of protein, 2g of carbs, and 0g of fat. Barley juice is an excellent source of vitamin A, iron, and magnesium. The following dietary information is from the USDA.
- Calories: 20
- Fat: 0g
- Carbs: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin A: 950IU
- Iron: 1.1 mg
- Magnesium: 25mg
Three teaspoons of barley grass juice powder consist of 2 grams of carbohydrates, none of which comes from fiber. There is about 1 gram of natural sugars in this serving size.
Barley grass juice powder is fat-free.
Barley grass juice powder has 2 grams of protein in a three-teaspoon serving.
Vitamins and Minerals
Barley grass juice powder is especially high in vitamin A, with 20% of your day-to-day advised intake (based upon a 2,000 calorie diet plan) in just 3 teaspoons. It is likewise a good source of riboflavin, potassium, iron, and magnesium.
Three teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) offer 20 calories, half of which originate from carbohydrates and the other half from protein. 1.
Barley grass is abundant in amino acids, which are very important foundation for proteins in the body. The 9 necessary amino acids barley grass offers assists the body repair work muscles, blood vessels, and even bone marrow. (1 ).
Barley grass is also a great source of:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
The essential amino acids in barley grass are complete, making it one of the most nutrient-dense foods worldwide. Most plants do not supply all the vital amino acids that the human body requirements. Barley grass can supply every amino acid, helping people who consume plant-based diet plans to get the nutrition they need.
How to Prepare Barley Grass?
Barley grass is usually taken in as part of a juice, because the texture can be unpleasant to eat. You can grow your own barley grass and juice it yourself, or you can purchase barley grass extract as a powder. Barley grass juice can be found at juice bars, in organic food shops, and even in some bigger grocery stores around the nation.
If you’re interested in adding barley grass juice to your diet, consider the following choices:.
- Drink barley grass juice on its own
- Include barley grass juice to shakes
- Consist of a tablespoon of barley grass powder in protein shakes
- Add barley grass juice to cocktails
- Usage barley grass juice in zucchini bread (2 )
9 Advantages of Barley Grass Juice
- It is an effective anti-oxidant: Antioxidants benefit your heart and they safeguard your body from all sort of extreme damage caused when you are exposed to pollution, cigarette smoking, and specific chemicals.
- It is understood to boost the body immune system: The immune system is like an anti-virus for our body. It spots antigens and assists the body to get immunity versus them so that the next time when they enter our body, we don’t get sick from them.
- It detoxifies the body by releasing extra water: Detoxing is the procedure of eliminating harmful compounds from our body. Intake of Barley Grass juice launches additional water making us fit and fine in no time!
- Deals With Ulcerative Colitis: Consume Barley Grass Juice for a healthy gut. Ulcerative Colitis is a sort of bowel disease which leads to the inflammation of your gastrointestinal tract. The disease typically causes the formation of ulcers impacting the inner-most layer of your large intestine and anus.
- Aids Weight reduction indirectly by enhancing the metabolism: Metabolic process is generally the body’s speed of burning calories. Since Barley Grass Juice is rich in anti-oxidants and helps in efficient detoxing of the body, it assists indirectly and assists you to reduce weight. Barley Grass Juice assists in effective detoxification of the body.
- Promotes Bone Health: The health of the bones in our body is determined utilizing a term called ‘Bone Mineral Density’. The higher this density, the better is the condition of our bones. Barley Grass Juice increases this density which makes it a must-have health beverage.
- Improves Skin Health: Barley Grass Juice provides your body the much required anti-oxidants which assist in fending off free-radical damage on our skin and therefore, consumption of it enhances your skin health too.
- Reduces Excess Acidity: Acidity takes place when your body produces more than what it needs in terms of acids to digest the food you consume. Usage of Barley Grass Juice helps in balancing out the acid material in your stubborn belly and alleviates the burning sensation therefore caused.
- It helps in cases of Hyperlipidemia: Hyperlipidemia is a condition triggered by high levels of cholesterol in your body. When extra fats collect in your blood that is when a person is stated to be suffering from this condition. Routine intake of Barley Grass Juice helps in enhancing this condition. Overall, Barley Grass juice is one of the many health drinks you can select, as it includes a great deal of health advantages focused on keeping you healthy and fit. You can grow the grass in your garden and juice it when you feel like having a glass. Else, you can even buy it from the market. Club this health beverage with a well balanced diet plan and you will not require anything else to remain in leading shape! (3 )
More Surprising Benefits Of Barley Grass
May Relieve Ulcerative Colitis
Barley grass is an important herb in dealing with ulcerative colitis attributing to its stimulating impact on gut-friendly bacteria. It has actually been discovered to assist in relieving inflammation and other associated signs implicated in ulcerative colitis by lowering the intriguing chemicals in the bowel. This nutrient-rich food may also help in balancing the fluidity in the bowel and getting rid of built up contaminants from the body.
May Increase Immunity
Barley grass might support increasing the immune defense reaction of the body. Routine consumption provides the needed nutrition which is essential for stabilizing the optimal production of immune cells in the body. A reliable and strong immune defense system vigilantly combats infections and avoids the development of chronic inflammatory diseases.
Might Have Anti-cancer Potential
Barley grass has been explore in different diets for chronic illness prevention. A study released in the Biomedical Journal in 2017 states that Korean researchers discovered that barley grass extract triggered apoptosis of breast and prostate cancer cells and may work for cancer treatment throughout healing interventions. While these results are appealing, its anti-cancer properties have yet to be totally checked out.
May Protect versus UV Radiation
Another helpful effect of barley grass is its potentially protective action versus the cell destructing results of UV radiation. It extends a healing relief on the existing damaged cell owing to the presence of superoxide dismutase enzymes.
It might also act defensively versus the results of radioactivity; some attribute this to the presence of chlorophyll content, which might improve the resistance to radioactivity and likewise motivates the production of new members cells. For this reason, it is typically recommended to drink barley grass juice pre and post-exposure to x-rays to provide extra security (along with proper individual protective gear) against the radioactive damage.
May Fight Addiction
Barley grass is likewise considered a home remedy for battling numerous sort of dependencies. The presence of glutamic acid in it is stated to inhibit the craving for alcohol, coffee, nicotine, drugs, and even sweet sweets. Nevertheless, for those with a hazardous addiction, it is best to seek medical attention in combination with this home treatment.
Might Reduce Signs of Aging
Barley grass is thought about a natural method to stimulate the regrowth of cells with no negative effects– and lower signs of aging. Essential elements such as chlorophyll, vitamin B, iron, and phycocyanin, a blue pigment in barley grass, enhance the bone marrow and support the development of white and red cell. This renewing impact of barley grass likewise helps in reducing the signs of aging by rejuvenating the aging cells and assisting to preserve healthy and vibrant skin.
Barley grass is utilized worldwide in soups and stews, and for making barley bread. Barley is likewise used in the manufacturing of malted products, such as malted milk, wine, and beer.
Apart from an outstanding range of use for human beings, barley grass is also used to make hay and fodder for animals.
Word of Caution: Although barley grass is normally safe, some people might respond sensitively to the barley grain with symptoms consisting of throwing up, itching, and burning feeling in the throat and mouth. Those individuals must prevent the use of barley grass or discuss it with a medical specialist to much better understand if this is allergy-related.
Gluten in Grains
While pure barley grass, without any grains, contains no gluten at all, people suffering from celiac illness should normally prevent the usage of barley items made from the grain as they may include gluten protein. Celiac illness interferes with the absorption of vital nutrients in the body and might result in serious complications associated with the brain, liver, and the nerve system.
Natural care prior to trying barley grass for the first time is always recommended particularly when the level of sensitivity is not known. During unique conditions such as pregnancy and lactation, it is recommended to consult a specialist to comprehend the suitable dose and impacts of barley grass to avoid any issues. (4 ).
Barley and your hair
Healthy hair belongs of a healthy body. The shortage of nutrients or an extended disease can negatively impact your hair. Barley contains all the important nutrients, including proteins, carbs, dietary fiber as well as vitamins and anti-oxidants, that are essential for hair health and offers the following hair care benefits.
1. Brings Back Hair Colour:
The consumption of green barley grass assists in restoring your hair color. Additionally, barley contains the mineral copper that is involved in the development of melanin, a pigment which supplies color to your hair.
2. Promotes Hair Growth:
Barley is rich in the micronutrients, thiamin and niacin, that assist in hair development. It also contains Procyanidin B-3, which is separated from barley and determined as a hair development stimulant.
3. Combats Loss Of Hair:
Anemia is among the most typical causes of hair loss. Barley includes the minerals iron and copper, which improve the production of red cell, thus fending off anemia and, as a result, stimulating hair growth. (5 ).
How To Grow Barley Grass Indoors For Juicing
Growing barley grass at home is as easy and affordable as growing wheat yard, and some people find they prefer the taste of barley grass juice to wheat turf juice, for its milder flavor. Barley sprouts and the juice you can make are a natural anti-oxidant as well as a natural metabolic process booster. Follow the actions below to start growing your own barley grass at home and make homemade barley grass juice!
TYPES OF BARLEY GRASS
There are lots of types of barley grass and there are various ways to classify each type. The very best method to differentiate barley grass types is to count the grains when the turf is totally grown. Each type has a different variety of grains. The various types don’t change the structure of the yard itself, so the type of barley grass you pick has little effect on the final juice.
Materials For Growing Barley Grass
- Container or bowl for soaking
- 1 cup Barley Seeds
- 10×10-inch Tidy growing tray, with holes for draining pipes:
- Plastic food tray from deli, thoroughly cleaned
- Growing tray from garden supply store
- Decorative planter (for growing ornamental turf)
- Soil enriched with fertilizer, garden compost, or azomite, if necessary
- Plastic lid with air shaft or extra tray to use as tray cover
How To Procedure Barley Seeds For Your Tray Size
1 cup of barley seeds ( 1/2 pound) is enough for a 10×10-inch tray and grows sufficient turf to make about 10 ounces of barley grass juice. If your tray is a different size, adjust the quantity of seeds appropriately.
Directions For Growing Barley Grass
Follow instructions for Growing Barley and grow simply till tails begin to show. Prevent over-sprouting or sprouts may not root in the soil for growing barley grass.
- Add a 1/2- to 1-inch layer of soil to growing tray.
- Water gently to dampen soil. Avoid overwatering to the point puddles form.
- Sprinkle seeds evenly throughout soil, separating clumps as required.
- Sprinkle loose soil over seeds.
- Location tray in an area with indirect light, at 60-80ºf.
- Cover with a plastic lid with air shaft to create a greenhouse effect. Ensure cover is tall enough to permit lawn to grow 1-2 inches.
- Water daily, prevent overwatering. Using a spray bottle is a great watering technique till seeds root and grass begins to grow.
- After grass is 1-2 inches, remove cover, about day 4.
- Continue to water daily, carefully to prevent damaging young yard.
Harvesting Barley Grass For Juicing
- Harvest grass at any point, usually about 6 inches tall, for juicing.
- Usage scissors to cut grass simply above roots.
- Juice immediately.
- If preferred, let the grass grow a 2nd blade, for a second harvest. Nutritional content of lawn from the second harvest is much lower than turf from the first harvest. (6 )
11 Serious Adverse Effects Of Barley Water
1. Flatus/ Digestive Tract Gas
Barley is an excellent source of dietary fiber. This may cause intestinal tract gas or flatus. The reason behind it is the activities of the helpful germs present in our colon. So, try to restrict your barley water consumption to prevent gas formation.
Extreme intake of barley water may distress the stomach. Barley water can also interact with particular medications leading to stomach upset. In both cases, the stomach inflammation can include minor to significant signs like pain, cramps, bloating, and often even loose bowels or diarrhea and get worse other IBS symptoms.
If you drink too much barley water, the opportunities are that you will end up developing persistent constipation. Ensure that you consult your doctor in case the issue continues for more than 7 days at a time.
4. Rectal Bleeding
In extreme case of constipation, you might experience rectal bleeding with sharp pain. Attempt to avoid consuming this natural laxative in bulk amount to prevent such scenarios.
5. Fungal Contamination
It has been reported that barley water can lead to fungal contamination from time to time. Particular pollutants discovered in the malt extract are Trichothecium Roseum and Ochratoxin A. These contaminants can take a toll on our bones by breaking them down.
Allergies to barley water are also rather common. If you currently struggle with hypersensitivity or allergic reaction in the recent past, it is time to regulate your everyday consumption of barley water. Otherwise, you might experience a variety of symptoms like rashes, inflammation, hives, irritation as well as swelling of eyes, eyelids, nose, arms, legs, and even anaphylaxis.
7. Bakers’ Asthma
The grain of barley can cause a serious breathing allergy called ‘bakers’ asthma’. Individuals working in bakeries are prone to this condition. But you can also fall prey to it if you are exposed to lots of barley flour while preparing your barley water. So, beware.
8. Obstructed/ Burst Esophagus
Being loaded with fiber, barley can hurt your esophagus too. Whenever preparing your drink, ensure that you include enough water to the extract of the malt. Otherwise, you might face difficulty in swallowing, which can ultimately obstruct and even burst your esophagus.
9. Celiac Illness
Celiac illness is essentially wheat allergy, which is triggered due to gluten intolerance. Barley includes a big amount of gluten, consequently making the condition even worse.
10. Lowered Blood Glucose
Overconsumption of barley water can lower the quantity of sugar in your blood stream. If it goes under the regular level, you will establish hypoglycemia. So, attempt to keep a close eye on your blood glucose level while consuming barley water regularly.
11. Surgical Problems
As barley water can trigger an abrupt fall in your blood sugar levels, you need to constantly take preventative measures prior to undergoing surgery. It is suggested that you stop having the beverage a minimum of 10 to 2 week before going under the knife. It might assist you manage your blood sugar level so that you can keep all sorts of surgical issues at bay. (7 ).
What is the suggested dosage?
A dose of 15 g/day dried barley leaf extract has actually been utilized to lower cholesterol.
Contraindications have not yet been identified.
Details regarding security and efficacy in pregnancy and lactation is doing not have. (8 ).
Special Precautions & Warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Barley is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth during pregnancy in quantities typically found in foods. Nevertheless, barley sprouts are POSSIBLY UNSAFE and ought to not be consumed in high amounts during pregnancy.
There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking barley if you are breast-feeding. Remain on the safe side and prevent use.
Celiac disease or gluten level of sensitivity: The gluten in barley can make celiac disease even worse. Prevent utilizing barley.
Allergies to cereal grains: Consuming barley might cause an allergy in individuals who are sensitive to other cereal grains, consisting of rye, wheat, oat, corn and rice.
Diabetes: Barley might reduce blood sugar level levels. Your diabetes medications might require to be adjusted by your healthcare provider.
Surgical treatment: Barley may reduce blood glucose levels. There is an issue that it may interfere with blood sugar control throughout and after surgery. Stop utilizing barley at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery. (9 ).
Barley grass may sometimes be rich in vitamin K, which hinders the action of anticoagulants such as Coumadin (the trademark name for warfarin, a substance abuse to deal with and avoid embolism ). Other than an allergy, there are no known unfavorable effects credited to barley grass. (10 ).